Longer days + balmier temps = spring has sprung. If that’s not reason enough to take your workout outdoors (or revive a routine altogether – it was a cruel winter), below are 10 race deals to get athletes of all skill levels in the mood to move. We’ve ranked them on a scale of 1-10 in order of intensity:
1. Color Me Rad 5K, Washington, D.C. Saturday, May 30. Start out slow, and by the end of your 3.2 miles your previously plain white tee will be a kaleidoscope of color. Entrants also will receive a one-year subscription to SELF Magazine.
2. Ultimate Urban Scavenger Race, Salt Lake City, Utah. Saturday, April 11. Test your legs and brains as you and your teammates solve tricky clues and get reacquainted with the ins and outs of your city. All eyes on the cash prize!
3. Wild Hog Mud Run, Plant City, Fla. Saturday. April 25. Get down and dirty with your friends at this Wild-West themed adventure course, followed by a lively after-party that just may or may not include mechanical bulls.
4. Tap ‘N’ Run, St. Louis, Mo. Saturday, June 6. 4K run/walk. Hilarious costumes. Adult beverages. Clearly not your most serious workout, but you’ve earned a day off!
5. The Lantern Run, Atlanta, Ga. Saturday, April 18. Light up the night in glow-in-the-dark swag, and after the 5K trek, burn even more calories at a fun-filled dance party.
6. Citi Field Sprint Stadium Spartan Race, New York, N.Y. Saturday, May 9. This is where things intensify. Experience the Mets’ ballpark like never before with three+ miles of sprints, bleacher climbing, wall traversing and more.
7. Sandy Sprint Superhero 5K/10K Canine Run, Philadelphia, Pa. Saturday, April 25. Superhero costumers encouraged and furry friends are invited to join as well. This run benefits the Sandy Rollman Ovarian Cancer Foundation.
8. Rock ‘n’ Roll 1/2 Marathon or Marathon, Raleigh, N.C. Sunday, April 12. Experienced runners looking to log that next personal record will have their chance on this traditional 1/2 marathon or full marathon course.
9. Gladiator Assault Challenge, Lake Geneva, Wis. Saturday May 30, or Sunday, May 31. True to its name, this race will push even the buffest bodies to the max with seven miles of running and obstacle challenges. An epic fiesta will be waiting for you at the finish line!
10. Green Mountain Adventure Challenge, West Dover, Vt. Select dates May-August. Brains and brawn unite for this weekend of trail-hiking, code-cracking and treasure-hunting in the magnificent woods of Southern Vermont.